Monday, September 8, 2008

The Ephemeral Nature of Our (Second) Lives

I have been delinquent in posting this weekend in large part because of the time my typist spent attempting to debug her computer network. Problem 1: WiFi connection stopped working. When that was solved, we had Problem 2: WiFi connection works just great - but won't connect to the Internet. (Connecting the computer with an Ethernet cable brought everything back, so no doubt some obscure setting on either the router or laptop is at fault. Sigh.) That problem had to wait while I attempted to deal with Problem 3: the connection with the Internet seemed to fail frequently. I would log into SL, only to be kicked offline a minute or two later - and for once this did not seem to be a SL-related problem, as I had intermittent troubles with web sites, e-mail, etc. As the evening wore on, the problems seemed to be getting worse. The last time something like this happened, I eventually tracked the problem to an overheating DSL modem. Replacing the modem solved the problem. This time, having switched to FIOS, I have a new (new) modem but the same symptoms. Is it FIOS? the modem hardware? some software setting? I shall see tonight if a day off solved the problem - it often does wonders for me.

Do I exist? That appears to depend on many things happening at once: SL functioning, various Internet connections outside my house functioning, my own internal network functioning, and my PC functioning. If any one of those dies, so do I...or, at the very least, I go into an annoying limbo.

In the meantime, if anyone has suggestions for how to optimize an Actiontec MI424WR modem with SL, please let me know.

No comments: