Friday, October 31, 2008

Burning Your Own House Down

Lady CoyoteAngel Dimsum added her own twist to the protest over the Openspace sim policy change: she burned down her own sim.

The devestation was impressive.

However, it was perhaps a little extreme. One is reminded of the cliche regarding babies and bathwater.

Then again, what do I know?
More seriously, the chat on ISC has had a number of people discussing moving to the Open Life grid. I'm all for competition, and having a viable alternative to SL would be nice, but - how can I say this nicely? - Open Life isn't ready for prime time. The lag is unbelievably bad, even with no one else around. The Noob look is distressing, and, while some have said there are freebies and one can adjust one's appearance, I could never do so. There is no currency, no economy. Other than the joy of participating in the world's growing pains, or the satisfaction of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face, it's not clear why one would abandon a far more mature and, yes, stable platform. Not at this time, at any rate.
Perhaps in the future Open Life will merit a re-visit. But, all cliches aside, I see no reason to uproot myself. I can only hope my fellow citizens, disgruntled as they now are, eventually feel the same way.

Update 11/1/08 12:51 p.m. SLT: Dr. Mason reports that Lovelace and Carntaigh have joined in the arson. (Is it really arson if you own the place? Well, whatever it is, burning stuff down.) It saddens me to see so much creative talent engaged in destructive efforts.

No comments: