Thursday, September 2, 2010

Gone Fishin'

The typist is off for an overdue extended vacation - slightly under two weeks, but, given the usual last-minute headaches and the inevitable pile of things to catch up on after returning, it will probably be slightly more than two weeks before I am back to anything resembling a regular schedule.

I'm excited about the trip, which involves a cruise up the Inside Passage, from Vancouver to Skagway and back. I figure it's the only way I'm going to get to see any part of Alaska and, of course, the views are supposed to be stunning.

Contrary to the title of the post, there will be no fishin', at least by me. But that's what the metaphorical sign on the metaphorical door says.

The downside is that I expect to have zero access to the Aetherwebs: no Blogger, no Twitter, no nuthin'. I refuse to pay the exorbitant fee for Wi-Fi access (recollection is that it's on the order of $15/day), and I don't even want to risk having a cellular signal routed through the ship (at a whopping $10 or so per minute for voice). Cold turkey. I feel like gorging myself on Aetherweb usage right now, like the addict who shoots up right before going to the rehab clinic. Hmm, maybe I really do have a problem with being on-line. I can quit any time I like, really I can, right?

(Perhaps not entirely cold turkey... if I can sneak some 3G time ashore and fill up my news reader. Just make sure you put any really important news, such as CALEDON BLOWS UP, in all-caps so I can make it out on the tiny screen.)

If all goes as planned, I've left some of the usual nonsense in the feed, just so you don't forget about me. Some of it is fairly dated already, alas. Assuming I haven't been eaten by a bear or fallen to my death in a glacier crevasse, I'll be back mid-month.

3 comments:

HeadBurro Antfarm said...

Have a great holiday, mate!

Breezy Carver said...

Safe and Happy Holiday to YOU !!!

Rhianon Jameson said...

Thank you both! It was a long time coming. :)