Monday, September 1, 2008

Hair Fair and Fair Hair

I realize I might be the last person on the entire grid to have gone to Hair Fair 2008 (at Rezzable Explore, Rezzable Design, Rezzable Create, and Rezzable Discover). But I was unwilling to fight the lag, and I was definitely unwilling to go "naked" - in some polite, low-prim state. Unless I could go invisibly, but that didn't seem to be an option. So there you have it: I'm vain. It's a character defect. But darn it, I have vivid, unpleasant memories of how I rezzed into this world. Perhaps fortunately, I have no pictures, but I am still traumatized by the experience.

But I try to be polite, and did not care to add to the legendary lag problems of the early days. Going at 7:30 in the morning (SLT) on September 1 found the four sims fairly empty, and lag was low. And everyone there looked fabulous, so I wasn't the only one who insisted on my usual get-up.

Locks of Love is a worthwhile cause. Yes, I realize this may reinforce the impression of how vain I am. Let me tell a little story: a relative of my typist was treated for cancer (throat, I believe, but the detail is not all that important), lost her hair, and started wearing a wig. One day she was in the process of showing the out-of-town visitors that she was completely bald beneath the wig when, just as she pulled off the wig, a small child wandered into the room. The child had never considered that hair was detachable, and her eyes grew wide before she fled in fright. I'm not 100% certain what that story is supposed to show, except that, well, hair is good.

On the other hand, having only a handful of hair styles from each vendor does not give a particularly good idea of the breadth of styles available. The whole thing seemed rather hit or miss. That said, I did buy one hair style, filed away several more as possibilities, and took this snapshot showing the facts of life though, like my story above, I'm not certain about the point of the display.

No comments: