Wednesday, February 24, 2010

One Day I'm Gonna Learn Blogger

I seem to have scheduled three posts yesterday. How did that happen? Most likely it was just plain confusion about what day it was. Possibly I can't figure out simple commands in Blogger.

On the other hand, I've been a tad distracted, and when that happens, mistakes also happen. The snow was...unnerving. (Also annoying, but what's the point of whining about it...er, any more than I already have.) I'm not entirely sure why the mindless work of moving snow from Point A to Point B precluded actually using my brain in between time, but suffice to say it did.

The week everyone was essentially snowbound was also the week my office division was supposed to move to a different part of town. Packing was to be completed by Friday, and the move itself was to take place over the weekend. The snow postponed that move for a week, so last week was the last-minute packing episode and this past Monday was the first day in the new location. As with the snow, I have no idea why the mindless work of moving files from Point A to Point B precluded actually using my brain in between, but it did.

This week, despite the strangeness of the new office and the need to unpack and set up the office quickly, I started to clear out old projects. I haven't had a great deal of time, but things have been moving. The brain has been moving...just a little. We'll see if that translates into more focus in this Journal, including getting out some tales that have been percolating for a while.

If you've read this far, I'll add another personal observation. I think I've always been a creature of habit, and disruptions to routine bother me. But, dammit, it's been getting worse over time. I don't recall this kind of anxiety eight or so years ago when I moved offices the last time. How people change jobs regularly is a complete mystery to me. (We can talk about my obsessive-compulsive tendencies at some later date.)

It's not all dire. The more rational part of me recognizes that this whole office move is a cool adventure. I can interact with a slightly different set of colleagues, in a building with interesting aspects to explore, in a neighborhood that's very vibrant, especially compared with where I was was. (Let's not get too excited: another move is coming in 2012. Bummer.)

So: three posts in one day, mea culpa. Here's hoping for more competence and better focus in the days to come.

No comments: