Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Visit to Deadwood

If I weren't so damn lazy, I would have (a) visited Deadwood long ago and (b) written this up in the form of a little tale. Well, I can't do anything about the first, but I might eventually get to the second. In the meantime,...

After starting in Yankton, a "neighboring" town to Deadwood (and home to the Deadwood Memorial Library), where one obtains information about Deadwood, background on the RP, a role-playing meter, and period clothing and merchandise (including a certain leather hat one might see below), a stagecoach takes one to the town proper.

I started in the telegraph office, which also had slots for telegraphs that came for town residents. The office was unstaffed when I arrived, so I moved down the main street.

A liquor store? Hmm, how intriguing.


Inside the Deadwood Free Press offices, with another edition of the newspaper running on the press at that moment.


The infamous Number Ten saloon. Is it too early in the day for a snort? Hmm, perhaps this town does not care for women to imbibe in saloons.


The Grand Central Hotel looks like a respectable place to lay my head for the night.


I sat for a late meal at the hotel.


The town hall was smaller than I expected.


Sadly, the town boasted a large cemetery, with many well-tended graves.


I lost track of the number of saloons - I like that in a town. The school house was small but clean. Very few residents were in town with me. One polite gentleman greeted me, and I saw a few more whispering conspiratorally across the street. Other buildings, off the main streets, were more run down and basic - working-men's houses. I looked at the mine works, but lacked the equipment to explore it.

The quiet of the town belied its violent reputation. Perhaps on my next visit there will be more action. For that possibility, I purchased a fine rifle. One wonders if it will be needed...

2 comments:

HeadBurro Antfarm said...

I've been meaning to go too, Rhia (as Dr Beck - a better fit that a 7-foot tall half gazelle with firey eyes I think...) and you've whetted my appetite again! But time... time is what I need! *sobs*

Still, I will go very soon and see it. I don't know why, but I can't help thinking all that wood looks so very flamable and I'd hate for it to vanish before I visited...

Rhianon Jameson said...

Um, yeah, those sticklers for historical accuracy might not take too kindly to the talking gazelle. :)

Aren't we all short of time? If I could just clone myself...