Friday, December 12, 2008

A Note on Human Psychology and Marketing

I sat eating Fig Newtons this afternoon and reflected: these cookies taste as though they should be good for you, but are surely just as fattening as any other cookie. Isn't that backward? Shouldn't the marketing folks be selling me a cookie that tastes fattening but is really good for me? The diet cola people at least have the right idea, even if they fall short in execution. I'm guessing the light beer people are aiming at that concept, too, although my limited experience with light beer is that it's both horrible tasting and contains three-quarters of the calories of an actual beer, thereby missing the mark from both directions.

I'd like to claim that this observation has something to do with Caledon, but I'm coming up empty. Ah well.

No comments: