Friday, January 15, 2010

Dreams and Anxieties

I don’t spend much time analyzing my own dreams, in part because I don’t often remember them in any detail, in part because they make little sense when I do remember them in detail, and in part because, while I accept that they reflect the subconscious mind working through issues, I’m never clear on exactly what those issues might be.

However, I have noticed over the years that the dreams that tend to stay with me are the ones that cause anxiety. The dream anxiety translates into a sense of unease the next morning, as though I’m aware something is eating at me, even if I don’t always know what it is. (Those dreams where you’re back in high school, forgetting the locker combination, or being late to class, or failing all your tests – they’re pretty obvious even to me. But I digress.)

I spent some time this morning trying to figure out why I might be anxious. I concluded that attempting a Windows 7 installation too late the night before, such that it had not finished before I turned in for the night, was a mistake. If I'm mysteriously absent from the Steamlands for a while, you'll know the reason.

No comments: