Saturday, June 20, 2009

A First Look at A Second Look

I'm fascinated by SL art. I'm not quite sure why, but it may have to do with the idea that SL is an intensely visual medium that's just a little off-kilter, just a bit away from looking real. Perhaps it's the idea that one can create things that are Not Possible in Real Life, to coin a phrase.

And clearly I'm not the only one, as actual artistic types seem to be well-represented in SL. One of those is Caledon's own Callipygian Christensen, who has art scattered about the grid, including in Caledon Cay and Victoriana. When I saw that she had a small exhibit at the Untold Ark, I decided to have a look.

Speaking of looks, the title of the exhibit is "A Second Look." As the artist explains:
"A second look can mean many things; as I go through the images I take I often set a number aside as not usable, but as I look through the ones I am about to delete some part of the image jumps out and demands a second look; sometimes as I look at various locations I don't 'see' an image but later, whether minutes or days, I might be there again with a different time of day or different windlight setting and on second look, an image is there; I guess every image taken here is actually a 'Second look' as well :), and the 12 images in this exhibit, two of them totally unretouched snapshots, are images I feel deserve a second look through your eyes as well as mine."


I'm always reluctant to take pictures anywhere near an art exhibit, especially when the art is for sale, as Miss Christensen's is. I don't want to appear as though I'm stealing someone else's IP, nor do I want to faciliate such an outcome. But I couldn't resist taking the shot below - sufficiently crappy that it doesn't count, I would think. Note the absinthe fountain, glass, and spoon in the picture on the right.


One final note: SL art seems to feature a great many geometric patterns, like a Spirograph. I'm not sure what that's all about, but it leaves me cold. There, I've said it.

No comments: