Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Library at Constantinople

That learned gentleman, Mr. JJ Drinkwater, waxed lyrical about the Constantinople Library. Knowing that Sir JJ has more than a passing acquaintance with some fine libraries in Caledon, I decided to see this one for myself.

After arriving at a telehub and speaking briefly with the Empress herself (who allowed as to how Mr. Drinkwater's contributions to the library included numerous volumes), I departed for the library. The stone building is in the Byzantine style, of course:

The heavy columns support numerous stacks, arranged alphabetically (with the exception of one set of shelves devoted to Byzantine information):

The edges of the building contain a number of desks, for researchers and scribes:


I spoke with Mr. Nev Loring, a scribe, who took the time from his labors to welcome me to the library and offered any necessary assistance.

Mr. Loring allowed that the library was still under construction, but it appeared to me that the structure was complete (save for the front door, though the lack of such may be part of the Byzantine culture), and any cosmetic improvements underway were sufficiently minor to have escaped my notice.


A map of the Empire hangs above the Emperor's throne

The library contains untold volumes. Well, not exactly untold, because a kiosk provides a catalogue of volumes, in about ten notecards, ranging from Elven Phrases Book, by Adria, and volumes by Miss Louisa Alcott and Mr. Horatio Alger, to the reportage of Mr. H.G. Wells, poetry by Mr. Walt Whitman, the scandalous plays of Mr. Oscar Wilde, and Mr. Yeats's verses.


I take notes with my quill pen on some of the wonders to be seen.

I second Mr. Drinkwater's recommendation to see and use this library.

No comments: